East Bay Innovation Academy
Director of College and Career Readiness
dynamic and optimistic, with a strong belief that all students can learn at the highest levels. You have a proven record of successfully designing and implementing programs that help students be forward-thinking, discerning, and optimistic about how their long term goals. You guide students through the requirements for college and other post-high school institutions, striving for best possible fit and outcome. You are student-centered and relentless in your pursuit of growth and equity for all students.
preparing a diverse group of students to be successful in college and to be thoughtful engaged citizens who are leaders and innovators in a 21st century global world. Founded in 2014, East Bay Innovation Academy (EBIA) is proud to be a free public charter school bringing project-based curriculum, social emotional emphasis, design thinking, and blended learning to students in Oakland, California.
- Lead the College and Career Counseling program at EBIA, growing and refining a robust college and career counseling service for a diverse population.
- Refine a school wide college preparation/awareness plan, for both students and their families, which includes group education and individual counseling
- Refine and continue a system for counseling students with clear expectations and processes.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of colleges and universities, which includes making regular visits to colleges. Stay current on higher education changes. Build and maintain relationships with admission professionals.
- Offer resources and guidance for financial aid and scholarships
- Coordinate necessary paperwork to help students satisfy college admissions requirements; assist with plans and timelines, SAT/ACT prep, filling out documents, letters of recommendation
- Assess students’ academic progress to meet requirements of specific colleges and college programs
- Establish systems for tracking and organizing student college entrance activities, using applicable software
- Arrange college visits and trips to local college fairs.
- Educate students on appropriate interviewing techniques, self-assessment tools, and application essay writing techniques.
- Work with faculty to integrate college-related skills (e.g., essay writing, interviewing, etc.) into regular curricula.
- Support EBIA in building a Linked Learning Pathway course sequence, graduation requirements, and work-based programs.
- Build relationships with industry professionals and involve them in career exploration for students, including building a pipeline of internships in STEAM areas.
- Build a culture of high expectations; demonstrate excitement about learning and foster engagement in learning for all students; learn the unique needs of every student attending the school.
- Collaborate with teachers and staff to develop individualized plans for student success.
- Understand, promote and support the mission, vision and guiding principles of EBIA.
- Actively participate in staff meetings, including grade level and department meetings.
- Participate in after-school events and extracurricular activities as necessary.
- Be a School Leader
- Understand and promote the mission and vision of East Bay Innovation Academy
- Participate as requested in the School Leadership Team, collaborating to establish and/or enforce programs and policies, under the leadership of the Executive Director.
- Participate in other school activities as designated by school leadership.
You May Also Have
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum three years of experience as College Counselor at a high school.
- Experience guiding the college admission process at a variety of institution types and selectivity levels.
- Ability to work successfully with heterogeneous groups of students and an ethnically & economically diverse student body.
- A strong belief that all students can learn at the highest levels and that all students can be successful in college.
- Ability to create and take ownership in a start-up environment
- Flexibility and adaptability; ability to work in a dynamic, creative and demanding learning environment.
- A dedication to professional growth, including learning new and innovative theories and practices.
- High proficiency in using technology, and interested in the potential of technology to impact urban education.
- A Master’s Degree
- Working knowledge of Spanish.
- Knowledge of project based learning, social-emotional learning, and blended/optimized learning.
EBIA offers a competitive compensation package,
with an annual bonus plan and health+dental+vision insurance fully covered for our employees. Learn more about us at www.eastbayia.org
When you apply
, please include your resume
and a letter
We look forward to meeting you!