BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST
CLASS TITLE: Behavioral Support Specialist
REPORTS TO: Dean of Students
SCOPE OF POSITION
Under the direction of the Dean of Students, the Behavioral Support Specialist provides interventions to targeted students to increase responsible behavior and reduce negative behavior including but not limited to small group and one-on-one interventions. The Behavioral Support Specialist communicates with the student’s parents and school personnel to build and implement a strong support mechanism for the student. The Behavioral Support Specialist documents, maintains, analyzes, and discusses data with the student, their parents, and others to determine the impact of the interventions. They assist in establishing a positive and consistent school culture that creates a positive and engaging environment for all students while upholding the standards and principles of EBIA.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer, hand-held devices, and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
East Bay Innovation Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, citizenship, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, medical status, military status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, genetic information, ancestry, or any legally protected status in any of its employment practices, educational programs, services or activities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
This job description is intended to accurately reflect the duties, responsibilities, and requirements of the position. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position. The Board of Directors, school directors, and the administration reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary.
- Understand, promote and support the mission, vision, and guiding principles of EBIA.
- Assists the Administrative Team in developing interventions, functional behavior assessments, and behavior plans for the purpose of providing a safe and effective educational environment for students with challenging behaviors.
- Serve as a member of the Culture and Climate Team to ensure a safe, inclusive school environment.
- Assists in providing initial responses to Tier 1 behavioral referrals.
- Utilizing restorative practices and principles, assist in providing appropriate responses and disciplinary recourse as corrective measures for student behaviors.
- Manage student behavior and uphold the rules and disciplinary systems of the school
- Monitor and track behaviors, interventions, and progress
- Assists in developing procedures and training materials for staff involved with students with challenging behaviors for the purpose of enhancing programs for students and ensuring that program operations are in compliance with established guidelines.
- Completes all reporting requirements as mandated by the district, state, federal, and educational agencies (i.e. restraint and seclusion, assessments, behavioral data).
- Collects and summarizes behavioral data.
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues, and parents.
- Assists with student crisis intervention.
- Required to have prompt, regular attendance in-person and be available to work on-site, in-person during regular business hours and as needed.
- Support general education classroom teachers, to create a supportive classroom environment and ensure the accommodations and modifications defined in students’ IEPs are met.
- Provide individual and small group academic support to students, addressing the needs defined in Individual Education Plans (IEPs).
- Supervise group settings before school, lunch, and school assemblies and activities. Special events may take place out of regular work hours, i.e. Back to School Night.
- Be a key player in the development of the school, including being a leader and assisting in the development and implementation of school policies and programs. Build a culture of high expectations offering differentiated support for all learners.
- Assist the Operations Team with campus or IT projects as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal and Dean of Students.